How to Apply Online Courses
"The videos are particularly clear and helpful for students who struggle to make the more abstract leaps" Teacher review
Introductory offer: £29.99 for a whole year group. This is equivalent to paying for only 10 students (individual price £2.99).
Interactive online courses to teach students how to apply knowledge and use problem-solving strategies. Based on the popular Mastery Practice Books and the 'Complete Mastery' programme. Each course lasts 1-2 hours and covers 1 Key Concept from Blueprint.
Why use the courses
- An ideal solution for home learning or an in-school activity
- Teaches the Detect-Recall-Solve strategy step-by-step
- Work at own pace, with different levels of support
- Review understanding of Key Concepts with clear video explanations
- Check understanding with diagnostic quiz questions
"Even lower ability pupils are picking up complicated concepts far better. Some year 7 students can answer GCSE questions better than our current year 11" . John Farrant, Greig City Academy
What each course contains
- Apply task (AO2) - narrated worked example plus ‘Your turn’ questions for students to complete.
- Worked example broken up into mini-lessons - narrated, visual slides that go through ideas and examples step by step and include frequent questioning for self-assessment of understanding.
- ‘Your turn’ questions for students to complete.
- Assess - a series of diagnostic questions to test AO1 and AO2 understanding.
- Certificate for students who complete quizzes.
Initial course list (more to follow)
Contact Forces: Balanced forces
Substances & particles: Particle model
Cells: Cell structure
Growth & differentiation: Cell transport
How does Mastery Science Online work?
We are building the courses on a modern platform for delivering online courses, to provide an easy to use, engaging experience. The lead teacher for a school will receive a code to send to each student so they can enrol. Optionally you can have a different code for each class. The course begins with an introduction and then follows the same structure as Complete Mastery.
The courses are divided up into a number of mini-lessons. Each one focusses on a different knowledge item (based on the Blueprint 5-year curriculum). After each mini-lesson, there are one or more quiz questions to check understanding. These are multiple-choice and auto-marked.
Some lessons involve suggested tasks away from the computer, and short written assignments for students to download and complete. They can self-mark using a model answer or send to their teacher for marking.
Each course is designed to last up to 1 hour. Once students have worked through all the lessons, they get a certificate of completion. The lead teacher will receive a weekly report of students completion and % score in the diagnostic quiz. Optionally the report can be broken down by class.
What are the assessments?
There is a diagnostic quiz near the end of each course. The quiz consists of multiple-choice questions, which are auto-marked. Students then get feedback on their answers and compare these to the correct answer to identify gaps and misconceptions. There are suggestions for how to 'rethink' their learning.
How easy is it to set up?
Mastery Science Online is a solution that provides minimal work for schools. It runs on an existing platform and each course provides an end-to-end experience for students. You will be able to view a sample course soon.
How does it integrate with an existing platform e.g. Google Classroom?
Mastery Science Online will provide all the teaching, activities and assessment as an integrated package. However, you can create a parallel course on your existing platform and get students to upload assignments there for teacher marking. For specific details, please contact us.
How do I monitor students' progress?
1) Completion certificate: when a student finishes a course, they can download a certificate. They can send this to you to show they have completed the course.
2) Regular reports: We will send you a regular excel file that shows all the students enrolled and whether they have completed the course (this depends on students correctly enrolling with their school name).
3) Completed work: If you want to see students' completed work, each assignment has the option to email it to the teacher rather than download the model answer and self-mark.
What technology and resources do students need?
The platform we use works with any modern web browser. Students need to be able to open pdf documents to do the assignments. To do written questions they ned to open and edit the Word documents or print them.
What about online safety?
What is included or not included in Mastery Science Online? For each course there is a problem-solving activity from the Practice Book (Apply) which revises understanding and teaches problem-solving strategies, diagnostic quiz (Assess) feedback, a Rethink activity and a follow-up quiz (Assess).
How is it a mastery course? First, the learning objectives go beyond knowledge recall. They are designed for students to succeed at all the 3 assessment objectives Acquire (AO1), Apply (AO2) and Analyse (AO3). Second, each teaching sequence offers strong support for building students' knowledge, understanding and skills. Third, there are two formative assessment stages built-in - Activate and Assess. These provide feedback to the student about gaps and misconceptions, and suggestions for how to 'rethink' their understanding.
Is Complete Mastery like OUP's Activate course (Kerboodle)? Not really. The biggest difference is that our course is designed from scratch to meet the demands of the Blueprint, 5-year big ideas curriculum and the new GCSE. It is not a collection of resources, but a systematic approach based on learning stages, and a mastery model.
Using a Purchase Order? Add a customer note with the PO number during checkout. Your confirmation email will include a link to the invoice to pay.
Need our details? You can download the company details. This includes contact information and bank details. Contact us for further information.