Carbon footprint: Thinking Classroom version
December 2023: New 'Thinking Classroom' version
At COP28 in Dubai, discussions once again turned to how to protect the planet from the worst effects of climate change. There are plenty of actions that individuals can take to reduce our carbon footprint and help the world reach its climate goals, but how can we choose the best one?
In this activity, students learn how to explore the consequences of different actions in order to make a scientific decision.
The new version integrates practices from Peter Liljedahl's Thinking Classroom, with a 3-part structure to support student thinking in collaborative groups:
- CARE: Students are introduced to the issue and posed a question
- KNOW: Students review the prior knowledge they will need to complete the task
- DO: Students work in groups to analyse data that they can use as evidence
- Concepts: Earth's atmosphere, Global warming
- Skill: Consider different perspectives