We're running out of time to protect the planet from the worst effects of global warming. The UK says it will be carbon neutral by 2050. Everyone must play their part.
Carbon neutral is a set of 4 activities that turn students into 'carbon consultants' who help a café eliminate its carbon footprint. Along the way they apply knowledge about the Earth's atmosphere and global warming and develop the GCSE skill of considering different perspectives.
Blueprint curriculum links
- Concept: Earth's atmosphere
- Learning stage: Apply
- Concept: Global warming
- Skill: Consider different perspectives
- Learning stage: Analyse
Using the activity
Carbon neutral is flexible - you can use one activity or all four.
The activities (green boxes) can be fitted around the teaching of existing concepts (yellow boxes) within a unit on the atmosphere.
- Teachers guide
- Activity 1: Challenge - PowerPoint & students sheets for home task
- Activity 2: Carbon - PowerPoint & students sheets
- Activity 3: Game - PowerPoint & students sheets
- Activity 4: Recommendations - student sheets & assessment rubric
- Information for working with a scientist.
These lessons are delivered as a 11 MB zip file. After checkout, wait for the download link to appear on the screen. You will also receive it by email.
Carbon Neutral is a resource developed for the CONNECT project, funded by the European Commission.