Year 8 Apply Digital Practice Book
A book of Apply Practice problems to cover all the concepts in year 8 of the mastery science curriculum (Blueprint). It is published in 3 parts (see below). Introductory price: £179.99. The digital book is a pdf with a license for use within a school. We will publish a physical book during 2020.
The Year 8 book s even better than the previous books at training students for GCSE AO2! Building on the Detect, Recall, Solve process from year 7, this book breaks down the Detect and Solve processes even further:
- a step-by-step method to recognise the relevant concepts in a new situation (Detect)
- how to integrate knowledge and make inferences to reach the answer (Solve). Have a look at the sample question on the website!
The Year 8 book is designed for the second year (age 12-13) of our 5-year plan, Blueprint. It guides students through 35 different types of problem on 23 key concepts and develops their thinking up to GCSE standard.
✔ Teaches 3-step problem-solving approach
✔ 35 crystal-clear, visual worked examples
✔ 100's of carefully crafted 'your turn' questions
✔ Hints and online answers
✔ Reusable for school use or write on for home use
✔ Based on proven research
- Publishing dates
- Practice Book series
- How it works
- License details
- Payment methods
- Our guarantee
We are publishing the book in three instalments as with the Complete Mastery year 8 materials.
You will get each one as a separate pdf. Together they cover all of the key concepts in year 8.
Part 1 - already published
- Light unit
- Pure substances unit
- Tissues & organs unit
Part 2 14th February
- Reactants & products unit
- Life diversity unit
Part 3 31st March
- Respiration unit
- Movement unit
- Electrical energy unit
- Earth systems unit
We will send you an email with how to download the digital version. It is exactly the same content as the print book. The unit will be delivered as a set of pdf documents, with one pdf per chapter. This is to make it easy to fit into your existing structure for storing digital resources. The pdfs are personalised with your school name. Please see 'license details' for permitted uses of the digital version.
Chapters correspond to the units in our 5-year plan, Blueprint. For what's in each see 'contents' below.
Book 2 is part of a series which is designed to give extensive practice in problem- solving for all the key concepts in secondary science. The names and sequence of concepts are based on the 5-year plan, Blueprint.
Each focusses on Key Concepts in different years of the secondary science curriculum towards GCSE.
Book 2 focusses on 24 concepts generally taught in year 8 or at the beginning of a secondary science course.
The first page of each problem is a clear and visually explained worked example. It shows students a 3-step process for successfully solving unfamiliar questions:
- Detect: work out what you need to do to answer the question
- Recall: bring to mind all the relevant knowledge
- Solve: go step-by-step from what you know to the solution
The second page is a set of 'your turn' questions to try. The first is similar to the example to check that students can follow the thinking. Further questions are carefully crafted as stepping stones to build their competence and confidence. There are hints to get students unstuck, and answers at the back.
At the end of a chapter, students are ready for the 'mixed up problem' challenge. Like in an examination, several types of problems are mixed together, but now students have learned the skills of recognising which knowledge to use in each situation.
This license permits the purchasing school to use the digital version at a single school site for the following uses:
- downloading the pdf to a private school server or private virtual learning environment
- downloading the pdf onto school-owned devices such as tablets and laptops
- providing a pdf copy to members of the science teaching staff on school-owned devices while employed by the school
- printing copies of the pages for school students' use
The license does not allow the following uses:
- use of the pdf on multiple school sites, or several schools in an Academy chain
- giving students the pdf for home use, except in cases 1 and 2 above
- use of the pdf by the science teaching staff at any another school or organisation
- sharing of the pdf with anyone outside the school
- any other use of the pdf without permission of the publisher (Mastery Science ltd)
We accept payment by credit card and PayPal. If you're a school, you can also choose to pay by bank transfer or cheque when you checkout. You will then receive an email with a link to a pro-forma invoice to pay.
We deliver after payment is received. Unfortunately, we do not accept payment after delivery. This allows us to minimise administration and pass the savings on to our customers. You will be given details for each payment method during checkout.
Unfortunately, we cannot offer a refund for the digital version.