Year 8 Digital Mastery Practice Book
Black Friday: 50% off pdf book! £179 £89.50 Until 8 Dec. For individual ebook click here.
Help students go beyond recalling information and teach them to apply concepts to excel in GCSE. This book contains hundreds of questions to cover all the concepts in year 8. For each type of problem, a worked example demonstrates the expert problem-solving strategy of 'Detect, Recall and Solve', which students then practise in the 'your turn' questions.
A powerful strategy for Apply questions. The book teaches students, particular middle and low achievers, a powerful and repeatable exam technique: how to approach apply questions set in unfamiliar situations, by analysing the question, recognising the critical knowledge, and putting together a logical answer.
Masses of challenging practice to deepen understanding. The wealth of 'your turn' questions helps students go beyond recalling of knowledge, and practise using it in a variety of applications.
Builds confidence to tackle exam questions. Many students give up when faced with a difficult exam question. The book shows students they can do it. It breaks down the process, gives lots of scaffolding and gradually builds their skills towards independence.
How can you use it?
✔ Class tasks and plenaries
✔ Small group intervention on weak concepts
What's in the book?
✔ Covers all key concepts in Year 8 of the 5-year plan (Blueprint)
✔ 30 clear, easy to follow and interesting worked examples
✔ 100's of carefully crafted your turn questions
✔ Hints and answers
Book 2 is part of a series which is designed to give extensive practice in problem- solving for all the key concepts in secondary science. The names and sequence of concepts are based on the 5-year plan, Blueprint.
Each focusses on Key Concepts in different years of the secondary science curriculum towards GCSE.
Book 2 focusses on 24 concepts generally taught in year 8 or at the beginning of a secondary science course.
The first page of each problem is a clear and visually explained worked example. It shows students a 3-step process for successfully solving unfamiliar questions:
- Detect: work out what you need to do to answer the question
- Recall: bring to mind all the relevant knowledge
- Solve: go step-by-step from what you know to the solution
The second page is a set of 'your turn' questions to try. The first is similar to the example to check that students can follow the thinking. Further questions are carefully crafted as stepping stones to build their competence and confidence. There are hints to get students unstuck, and answers at the back.
At the end of a chapter, students are ready for the 'mixed up problem' challenge. Like in an examination, several types of problems are mixed together, but now students have learned the skills of recognising which knowledge to use in each situation.
This license permits the purchasing school to use the digital version at a single school site for the following uses:
- downloading the pdf to a private school server or private virtual learning environment
- downloading the pdf onto school-owned devices such as tablets and laptops
- providing a pdf copy to members of the science teaching staff on school-owned devices while employed by the school
- printing copies of the pages for school students' use
The license does not allow the following uses:
- use of the pdf on multiple school sites, or several schools in an Academy chain
- giving students the pdf for home use, except in cases 1 and 2 above
- use of the pdf by the science teaching staff at any another school or organisation
- sharing of the pdf with anyone outside the school
- any other use of the pdf without permission of the publisher (Mastery Science ltd)
We accept payment by credit card and PayPal. If you're a school, you can also choose to pay by bank transfer or cheque when you checkout. You will then receive an email with a link to a pro-forma invoice to pay.
We deliver after payment is received. Unfortunately, we do not accept payment after delivery. This allows us to minimise administration and pass the savings on to our customers. You will be given details for each payment method during checkout.
Unfortunately, we cannot offer a refund for the digital version.