Digital Practice Book 3: GCSE
Regular price £249.99. Published 15th November 2018. Pre-order discount until 15th November.
Many students miss out on the 60% of marks in new GCSE that are for applying and analysing. They find it difficult to figure out questions different to any that students have seen before. Textbooks and revision guides don't help - they're only good for the 40% of marks for knowledge recall.
The Mastery Practice Book series teaches all students to apply knowledge. Firmly grounded in cognitive science, it uses a 3-step approach to problem solving, explained through worked examples. with carefully guided practice to make students confident with whatever examiners ask.
Book 3 is designed for the beginning of a GCSE course. It follows on from our successful Year 7 book, and covers the key concepts from year 9 (ages 13-14) of our 5-year plan, Blueprint.✔ 40 problem types on 24 different concepts
✔ 40 detailed worked examples
✔ 100's of carefully crafted 'your turn' questions
✔ Hints and answers
✔ Reusable for school use or write on for home use
✔ Based on proven research
Order now and the digital book will be delivered on publication.
Book is part of a series of Apply Practice Books. Each book focusses on Key Concepts in different years our 5-year plan, Blueprint.
- Book 1: year 7 concepts, already published
- Book 2: year 8 concepts, coming 2019
- Book 3: year 9 (GCSE) concepts, published November 2018
Here is a lit of the concepts that are applied in Book 3 which are generally taught near the beginning of a GCSE course.
- Newton’s 1st law
- Heat transfer
- Specific & latent
- Wave model
- Longitudinal or transverse
- Wave properties
- Periodic patterns
- Subatomic particles
- Atom conservation
- Exo- & endothermic
- Reactivity series
- Potable water
- Product life-cycle
- Stem cells
- Cell transport
- Cell division
- Communicable disease
- Monohybrid inheritance
The first page of each problem is a clear and visually explained worked example. It shows students a 3-step process for successfully solving unfamiliar questions:
- Detect: work out what you need to do to answer the question
- Recall: bring to mind all the relevant knowledge
- Solve: go step-by-step from what you know to the solution
The second page is a set of 'your turn' questions to try. The first is similar to the example to check that students can follow the thinking. Further questions are carefully crafted as stepping stones to build their competence and confidence. There are hints to get students unstuck, and answers at the back.
At the end of a chapter, students are ready for the 'mixed up problem' challenge. Like in an examination, several types of problems are mixed together, but now students have learned the skills of recognising which knowledge to use in each situation.
When you checkout, we will send you details for how to download the pdf version, which will be personalised for your school. When you checkout, we will send you details for how to download the pdf version of the book, which will be personalised for your school. Please read the license details below.
This license allows you to use a digital pdf version of the Practice Book at a single school location. it covers the following uses:
- downloading the pdf to a private school server or private virtual learning environment
- downloading the pdf onto school-owned devices such as tablets and laptops
- providing a pdf copy to members of the science teaching staff on school-owned devices while employed by the school
- printing copies of the pages for school students' use
The license does not allow the following uses:
- use of the pdf on multiple school sites, or several schools in an Academy chain
- giving students the pdf for home use, except in cases 1 and 2 above
- use of the pdf by the science teaching staff at any another school or organisation
- sharing of the pdf with anyone outside the school
- any other use of the pdf without permission of the publisher (Mastery Science)
If you have any questions about the license, please contact us.
If your school has already purchased 20+ books, then use this discount code to get an extra £50 discount (£149): extra50
We accept payment by credit card and PayPal. If you're a school, you can also choose to pay by bank transfer or cheque when you checkout. You will then receive an email with a link to a pro-forma invoice to pay.
We deliver after payment is received. Unfortunately, we do not accept payment after delivery. This allows us to minimise administration and pass the savings on to our customers. You will be given details for each payment method during checkout.
Unfortunately, we cannot offer a refund for the digital version.